Monday, March 10, 2014

Uptown - "(I Know) I'm Losing You" (1987)

A few nights ago, I was listening to a radio station that plays classic rock music. And suddenly, a rock song (sung by a male singer) came on that had some vaguely familiar lyrics. As I listened to the song, the lyrics jogged a memory of the voice of a female singer from the 80s, but I couldn’t place it. I couldn't remember who that female singer was. I was like, "I’ve heard a different version of this song, but who is the singer???” I couldn’t remember for the life of me.

It turned out that the song that was being played on the radio was "(I Know) I'm Losing You" by Rod Stewart and his band Faces, and it dates from the early 1970s. I actually had never heard that particular song before. However, I decided to look up the lyrics because they sounded familiar to me. So, what I discovered was that the song had originally been recorded by The Temptations in the 1960s. It was covered by Stewart in 1971. And then, in 1987, the song was covered again by a band called Uptown. I then realized that the Uptown version was the version that I had heard back in the 80s, and thus that’s why the lyrics of the Rod Stewart song sounded familiar to me.

Surprisingly, I didn’t even remember the Uptown song, as it had been many years since I last heard it. I guess it sort of slipped out of my mind in all of the years that had gone by. So, I decided to look for it on Youtube, to listen to it again. It's always interesting to rediscover something that you haven't seen or heard in many years. And in this case, I rediscovered this song in the most unexpected way. Who knew that a rock song from the 70s would lead me to a dance music hit from the late 80s? Serendipity perhaps? :)


No comments:

Post a Comment